Install ATI AMD Catalyst drivers in Ubuntu 13.04 Raring/Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal/Ubuntu 12.04 Precise/Linux Mint 14/13/Any Ubuntu based distributions
Many users write us about ATI AMD cards, for their drivers. So today we decided to write something for AMD ATI card owners, Probably this stuff will help them with their graphics.
AMD is usually rather shy about the changes they implement in their Linux drivers, but this time they’ve decided that it’s time to actually tell us what the changes were, especially because the latest release is a very important one.
AMD Catalyst 13.1 driver for Linux systems brought some improvements and bug fixes. This driver is based on the fglrx release and it improves support for Ubuntu 13.04/12.10/12.04. This tutorial is about to easily install ATI AMD Catalyst drivers for your cards in Ubuntu/Mint and Ubuntu derivatives.
To install ATI AMD Catalyst driver installer in Ubuntu/Linux Mint open Terminal (Press Ctrl+Alt+T) and copy the following commands in the Terminal:
>> For 32bit
- sudo apt-get install dh-modaliases libelfg0 execstack build-essential cdbs fakeroot dh-make debhelper debconf libstdc++6 dkms libqtgui4; sudo apt-get -f install
- wget -O ati-amd-NoobsLab32.deb http://goo.gl/n45aj
- sudo dpkg -i ati-amd-NoobsLab32.deb; rm ati-amd-NoobsLab32.deb
>> For 64bit
- sudo apt-get install dh-modaliases libelfg0 execstack build-essential cdbs fakeroot dh-make debhelper debconf libstdc++6 dkms libqtgui4 ia32-libs; sudo apt-get -f install
- wget -O ati-amd-NoobsLab64.deb http://goo.gl/dylWp
- sudo dpkg -i ati-amd-NoobsLab64.deb; rm ati-amd-NoobsLab64.deb
Alternative fglrx Drivers via PPA:
If you don’t want to install drivers from above method or you’ve some other reason/issue, here are alternative drivers for you via PPA.
Remove any previous drivers, if you have any:
- sudo sh /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh
- sudo apt-get remove –purge fglrx fglrx_* fglrx-amdcccle* fglrx-dev* xorg-driver-fglrx
To install AMD Catalyst drivers in Ubuntu 13.04/12.10/12.04/11.10/Linux Mint 14/13/12 open Terminal (Press Ctrl+Alt+T) and copy the following commands in the Terminal:
- sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
- sudo apt-get update
- sudo apt-get install fglrx-installer
If you want to uninstall Drivers enter these commands:
- sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
- sudo ppa-purge ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
- sudo apt-get update