Five Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Silver Wedding Bands


Choosing wedding bands for yourself and/or your spouse is a big decision that both of you should weigh carefully, as these are the rings that will represent a bond that is supposed to last a lifetime. Some people like the allure of a solid gold ring, while other prefer the more metallic look of platinum or silver. Silver wedding bands are an elegant and popular option that can be less expensive than platinum or palladium, yet with a similar look. However, before deciding on silver as the metal of choice for your wedding band, here are a few commonly neglected facts you might want to consider:

Wedding rings

1. Silver Tends to Accumulate Wear and Tear Quicker

Silver is a relatively soft metal that scratches very easily, and is therefore prone to wear and tear in the form of dings, scratches, and changes in shape over time. While this can create a nostalgic effect that some jewellery wearers appreciate, if you’re the type that likes to have a ring that will look brand new 20 years from now, a silver wedding band may not be the best fit. Although all metals are affected by some degree of wear and tear, of the popular metals used in wedding bands, silver wears down the fastest.

2. The Finish Will Change Due to Burnishing

Silver is a very flexible metal in that it can be customised with several types of finishes, from oxidised black to bright white, soft satin, or high polish. While the broad selection of finishes available in silver wedding bands make for a small style addition at the altar, it should be noted that these finishes will not last long after the big day, especially if worn daily. All silver rings endure a burnishing process, in which the metal rubs up against harder objects, leaving behind shiny marks. Eventually, the ring will be covered in such marks, replacing the original finish with a more matte look.

3. You Can Start with Silver Bands and Have a Mould Made to Upgrade Later

Silver wedding bands can be a very cost-effective choice for soon-to-be newlyweds on a budget because they’re typically cheaper than platinum or gold wedding bands. However, that doesn’t mean that you have to be stuck with a silver wedding band forever, as many couples opt to buy the initial ring in silver, and then have a mould made to create an exact replica of the ring in gold, platinum, palladium, or another metal. Replacing the original wedding band with a better one is a common practice done on the first anniversary.

4. Silver Wedding Bands are the Easiest to Make at Home

Silver is a highly malleable metal that can be easily bent into a variety of shapes. Therefore, if you’re looking forward to making a wedding band at home, silver maybe the best metal to use, as you won’t need many advanced tools to form, solder, and polish a homemade silver ring. In contrast to using other types of metals, silver usually doesn’t provide many challenges during the DIY ring-making process, and the results usually look professional.

5. Palladium Silver is Stronger than Conventional Sterling Silver

Conventional sterling silver is 92.5% pure silver, accompanied by 7.5% copper, which an even more malleable metal than silver is. However, there is a stronger alternative. Palladium sterling silver is also 92.5% pure silver, except the remaining 7.5% is comprised of palladium, which, as a member of the platinum family shares many of the same durable characteristics.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here