Engaging the services of a reputable plastic surgeon in Montreal or in any major city involves a considerable amount of money. In addition, plastic surgery is often considered a cosmetic procedure, so your medical insurance may not cover the cost of the procedure.
It’s not always about vanity. Numerous patients have often found that there are health benefits that result from these procedures as well. Here are just some of them:
- Body pain relief. Many women who have undergone breast reduction surgery have reported that they no longer have to deal with the body pain that they’ve lived with for so long. Women who have small frames but very large breasts often have to deal with pain in their shoulders, back, and neck. But once their breasts have been reduced to a more reasonable size, all the pain goes away immediately.
- Improved breathing. Many people equate rhinoplasty (“nose jobs”) as merely a way to look more attractive. But this procedure can also fix a condition known as deviated septum. This condition usually results in breathing problems, which is why many who have this condition tend to snore excessively. The quality of their sleep can also be reduced.
By fixing this problem, people can get a good night’s sleep at last. That can improve their health in a major way, as lack of good quality sleep is a factor in many health problems.
- Reduced risk of heart conditions. Some people have their excess fat removed from their body through surgery. While of course they immediately look better with a slimmer figure, it also has cardiovascular benefits. The removal of the excess fat can improve blood pressure and cholesterol levels right away.
- Reduced chances of diabetes. Excess body fat can hamper your body’s ability to break down insulin, and you can get diabetes. You can reduce the risk with surgical fat removal. In fact, even procedures such as breast reduction and liposuction can help, even if the amount of fat removed is small. Sometimes every little bit helps.
- Better vision. Some showbiz reporters wonder whether certain celebrities have undergone a surgical procedure to improve the look of their eyelids. This helps them appear much younger. But this sort of eyelid surgery (called a blepharoplasty) corrects the droopy eyelids so that people can see much better right away. Dry-eye problems are also often corrected with this procedure too.
- Improved self-esteem. You don’t have to be a doctor to realize that when you feel good about yourself, you’re generally healthier than people who lack confidence and self-esteem. Low self-esteem can lead to anger and depression, and you can also develop ongoing stress.
With stress comes a very long list of potentially serious health conditions. Stress-related problems include heart disease, asthma, obesity, diabetes, and GI issues. Some studies even indicate that reducing stress can potentially delay the onset of Alzheimer’s disease.
- Healthier lifestyle. When people undergo cosmetic surgery because they want to look better, it’s natural for them to want to maintain those pleasing results. Most of them don’t want to waste all that time and effort. That’s why they can often eat better, with proper amounts of food with the right nutrients. They also exercise more regularly.
When people go on proper diet and exercise regimen, they’re then healthier and they’re less like to become obese. They also tend to avoid drinking and driving, because a car accident can certainly undo many types of cosmetic surgeries. It’s also worth considering doing a procedure in a foreign country, where the associated costs could be much lower.
A plastic surgeon is still a type of doctor, so don’t be surprised that plastic surgery will have medical benefits as well!